Before I start anything, let me tell you that this is my first blog. I have just finished my Ph.D. from the University of Queensland and started to work on my Resume. I had to start right from searching the difference in a biodata, Curriculum Vitae, and Resume. I know that's quite embarrassing, but it had to start somewhere. So if anyone here that is like me, here is a brief understanding in the simplest language. I would try to blog in the least number of words possible as the topic I am writing is related to students that are very serious about internet use and time spent.

Biodata-
This is what we give during Indian arrange marriages. Biodata contains all personal information like date of birth to the name of parents and relatives. Biodata is better for marriages to know the person and his family background. So you can add segments like name, place of birth, time of birth, parents names, your siblings, your uncles and aunts, their children, the occupation of everyone....and there are many other personal things...height, weight and all.

Resume-
This is a trailer of your professional life. You just highlight the major achievements in your resume. For example, if I am a graduate, postgraduate and doctorate in Biotechnology, then it would be desirable to mention my education as Master and Doctorate of Biotechnology and years when I did it. It is logical to know that I have done Bachelors. So, the Resume would be Milestones of your achievements in a very brief note. It is expected to finish a resume in a single A4 page.

Curriculum Vitae (known as CV)-
This is entire detail movie of your professional life. Considering the same example of my education as stated above in Resume segment, I cant merely highlight milestones of my education when a CV is expected. I would need to mention what subjects I had during my graduation, what projects I worked on in the same year, what publications I did on the project. Same would apply to every other higher education that I pursued. Here I would write about Graduation, Postgraduation, Masters, Ph.D. I would also need to write any other educational details, achievements, publications in detail so that the employer can better understand your area of excellence.

I hope that clarifies the difference. If it isn't clear enough, please comment below so that I would try to work on the topic later as I blog more. I would create a series of tutorials on making Biodata, Resume and CV but will create the very next blog on making a resume.

If you are career oriented, expect to be outstanding in whatever you do, here is the right spot to know how to do stuff differently that marks you outstanding.

Comments